MAN OF LA MANCHA
book by Dale Wasserman, lyrics by Joe Darion, music by Mitch Leigh
AUDITION DATES: Monday July 30, Tuesday July 31st CALLBACKS: August 1st
REHEARSALS RUN: August 2nd- September 26, 2018.
PERFORMANCE DATES: September 27- 30 \ October 4- 7 Thursday-Saturday @ 7:30
Sundays @ 2:00pm
PRODUCTION TEAM INFO
directed by DENISE ASTORINO-BROWN
produced by: RAYMOND REED
musical direction by LORI MCDADE
choreography by: SAMANTHA GREGORY
- Due to mature situations in script, we are looking for actors 18 and over. Those 17 will be considered with signed parental permssion only. Characters are listed as double cast, however I am open to possibly casting each one seperatately.
- Headshots and resumes are always appreciated and encouraged, but not required. If no resume, please be sure to list all experience on auditon sheet. Please arrive and be prepared to start promptly at 6pm.
- We will sing first, dance, then have readings from script
- Prepare up to 32 bars of a musical theatre song in the appkropriate key (NO POP, ROCK, COUNTRY, ETC). Please bring recorded track of song -No accompanist will be provided and no acapella singing please.
- Those auditioning for certain roles will be taught a short dance combination. Please wear appropriate clothing adn tennis shoes or secure flats (jazz shoes, ballet flats, casual fltas with closed heel and toes) to be able to move in. No flip flops, sandals or bare feet for movement audition.
- Scenes from the script will be distributed throughout this process for cold readings.
If you play a musical instrument please put that on the audition sheet!!
BRIEF SYNOPSIS AND CHARACTER BREAKDOWNS
Man of La Mancha remains one of the most successful American musicals in Broadway history. It tells a story of an imprisoned playwright, actor, and failed tax-collector Miguel de Cervantes who waits in prison with his servant, and a cast of other shady criminals to be interrogated by the Spanish Inquisition. When put on “trial” by the other prisoners, Cervantes states that he wishes to plead his case. When granted leave to do so, he weaves a powerful and sometimes brutal, yet encouraging and charming story of an errant knight named Don Quixote. Quixote imparts on his “Impossible Dream” of a quest to champion honor, justice, beauty and love in the face of world rife with oppression, violence, darkness, and disillusionment. Cervantes creates this world with the constant help of the other prisoners in the dungeon who play multiple roles. This musical is a true ensemble effort with most of the cast being on stage for a large portion of the show. There will not be a traditional “chorus” that functions in a small part of the show. The entire cast will be heavily involved.
Characters: (ALL AGES ARE SUGGESTED ONLY!)
CERVANTES / ALONSO QUIJANO /DON QUIXOTE | Male: 30s+ Baritone but tenors will be considered. He is an actor, playwright, failed tax-
collector, and would-be knight. He is a romantic—some say crazy—we’ll say charismatic. A captivating story weaver. As all of his characters, he has a vision of a far better and nobler world, where knights and chivalry rule the day.
ALDONZA | Female 20s–mid 30s. Strong mezzo soprano with belt. Raw, gutsy, edgy. She is a kitchen wench/prostitute who Quixote tries to make into a lady. Guarded, defiant, a survivor. Beneath her tough exterior is a woman with a noble, gentle heart who has given up hope.
“MANSERVANT” SANCHO PANZA | Male 30s–50s.Bari-tenor. Strong comedic timing. Devoted and loyal, he has been Cervantes / Quixote’s servant and caretaker for many years (Will also consider female in this role- Alto / Mezzo).
DR. CARRASCO / THE DUKE | Male 20s–50s. Baritone. Antonia’s fiancé. A man of science and reason. He thinks Don Quixote is a madman and insists that he return home for treatment. As the character of the Duke he is the sidekick to the Governor.
PADRE | Male 30s-60s. Tenor. A kind, thoughtful, sympathetic but passive Catholic priest.
ANTONIA/ FERMINA | Female 18-30s. Soprano. As Antonia: Quixote’s niece and Dr. Carrasco’s fiancée. What’s behind the sweet façade? As Fermina: maid in inn like Aldonza. More to her than appears.
THE INNKEEPER / GOVERNOR | Male 30s-50’s. Powerful presence. Sympathetic as the Innkeeper, but as the Governor, he is a ringleader of the prisoners.
MARIA, INNKEEPER’S WIFE/ HOUSEKEEPER | Female 40s-60s. Soprano/Mezzo. As Maria: The exasperated wife of the Innkeeper. She very much expects the worst of everyone. As Housekeeper: pious and self-righteous. Acts like she doesn’t care for her employer but perhaps cares too deeply.
THE BARBER/PRISONER | Male, 30-40s. Baritone. Good Comic Timing. He travels the countryside and peddles shaves. He is known by everyone and is everyone’s best friend.
MULETEERS/ INQUISTION GUARDS/ GYPSY MEN | 3-4 men, 18+ Highway men. Men of all sizes and statures. They are brutal cutthroats. Also as prisoners who await their death in prison.
GYPSY GIRL / PRISONER| Female 20-early 40’s. May look innocent…But she has lived a million lives. She knows how to survive. Strong dancer.